Before starting your own project, you must download the file Quadruped Crawling Robot Kit V2.0 for Arduino.zip on our official website by visiting LEARN -> Get Tutorials -> Quadruped Crawling Robot Kit V2.0 for Arduino and unzip it.
Arduino is an open source platform that applies simple software and hardware. You can get it in a short even when you know little of it. It provides an integrated development environment (IDE) for code editing and compiling, compatible with multiple control boards. So you can just download the Arduino IDE, upload the sketches (i.e. the code files) to the board, and then you can see experimental phenomena. For more information, refer to http://www.arduino.cc.
Arduino Board – SunFounder Compatible
Arduino senses the environment by receiving inputs from many sensors, and affects its surroundings by controlling lights, motors, and other actuators.
In this kit, SunFounder Nano board is used.
Install Arduino IDE
The code in this kit is written based on Arduino, so you need to install the IDE first. Skip it if you have done this.
Now go to the arduino.cc website and click DOWNLOAD. On the page, check the software list on the right side under Download the Arduino Software.
Note: the IDE version shown in the figure is Arduino 1.8.1, which may not be the latest version now. Please go to the Arduino page to get the latest IDE.
Find the one that suits your operation system and click to download. There are two versions of Arduino for Windows: Installer or ZIP file. You’re recommended to download the former. Just download the package, and run the executable file to start installation. It will download the driver needed to run Arduino IDE. After downloading, follow the prompts to install. For the details of installing steps, you can refer to the guide on Learning->Getting Started with Arduino, scroll down and see Install the Arduino Software.
After installing, you will see Arduino icon on your desk and double click to open it.
Install the Driver
If the driver is not installed, the Nano board will not be able to be recognized by your computer. Therefore, before using it, please install appropriate driver.
For Windows users, run PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1160
For Mac users, refer to the folder PL2303_MacOSX_1_6_1_20160309
- Libraries are a collection of code that makes it easy for you to connect to a sensor, display, module, etc. In this kit, you will need to add two libraries to the Arduino libraries folder: FlexiTimer2 and RF24.
1) Select Sketch -> Import Library -> Add Library.
2) Find the FlexiTimer2.zip library under the Quadruped Crawling Robot Kit V2.0 for Arduino\libraries. Click Open.
3) Import the RF24.zip library from the libraries folder in the same way.
4) Here you should see the library added to your libraries. Click Sketch-> Include Library and the libraries just imported now appears on the list.